EXPLAINING TWITTER IN 25 TWEETS
WHAT IS TWITTER?
- You see the faces of people you know with notes of what they are writing.
- You are declaring an emotion and expecting a human response
- Twitter is the most effective marketing tool on the planet.
- Twitter has become something unexpectedly important—a discovery engine for finding out what is happening right now
- Twitter to get in touch and blogs to get to know -the best networking tool in the world
MY BASIC RULES OF TWITTER
- Think hard about your thumbnail and biography link.
- Start following people judiciously with no obligation to follow all who follow you.
- Start tweeting, aim at at least 5 tweets a day, a good experience, a question, something about me and two replies or retweets.
- Learn to use @, RT, DM and #
WHAT YOU GET WITH TWITTER
- A flow of tweets with no inbox problem and no need to reply
- You dip into notes from people you care about
- Twitter allows you to 'rewind' conversations had by others. It is a stream you can dip your toe into.
- You have your personal individual flow of tweets
- An asymmetric connection - you can follow celebs without drowning them
- People behave civilly; if they don't like it they go away
WHAT POLITICIANS ARE SAYING ABOUT TWITTER
- Politicians can be liberated from traditional media and the culture of spin It gives them their voice again. It could be a chaotic election (The Labour Twitter Czar)
- Don't twitter if you are not prepared to go places that you don't expect (Ed Balls)
- The trouble with Twitter, the instantness of it – too many twits might make a twat. (David Cameron on Absolute Radio)
WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING ABOUT TWITTER
- Adults are just catching up to what teens have been doing for years
- A Twanker is an egocentric individual who twitters only for one-way broadcasting about their greatness.
- A Twidiot is an individual who uses Twitter only to talk about insignificant things that noone cares about.
AND TO SUM UP
- Twitter is all about the coffee: when you have coffee you are communicating with people: think about who you drink coffee with and in what context. (James Clay)
- If a tenth of what you say is repeatable or retweeted, you must be doing it right.
- In a remote part of the Twitter network, very weak signals that are good, get picked up like the tweet about the air crash on the Hudson River
- Twitter is a secret beach for web surfers, Follow the twitterers and they will show you where the best surf is.
October 9th 2009