Saturday, March 17, 2007

The Falklands War

I was not able to visit the Falkland Islands on my trip to Antarctica. We were several hundred miles away. After 25 years I had forgotten much of what we saw on television during the Falklands war. I was therefore very interested when I received a telephone call this evening. My friend thought that I would be interested in the
The Archive Hour on Radio 4 at 8 o'clock as it would be about the Falklands War. Unfortunately we were having our supper at 8 and so after supper I went to the Radio 4 site and the Listen Again for the Archive Hour
This programme is most interesting as you can hear the original radio broadcasts to the Falkland islanders as the war was happening, Rex Hunt, the Governor who had to leave the islands and the radio presenter Patrick Watts.
"Michael Nicholson recalls the night of the Argentinian invasion of the Falkland Islands in 1982 with the help of some astonishing radio archive from the Falkland Island Broadcasting Service. When radio station manager Patrick Watts turned up to present his weekly 60-minute music request show, the programme turned into a marathon 16-hour broadcast as islanders phoned in with their sightings of the invading army."
You can listen again to The Archive Hour for the whole of next week. I hope that you will find that by clicking on this link, you can open up your radio player.

No comments: